This photo shows the opening above the sink in the kitchen (and a gratuitous shot of my new Dyson DC17 vacuum which is the absolute bomb I might add!). If you were to continue down the hall to your right you'd see the door to the lower level, the downstairs bathroom and the master bedroom.
This is the dining area. You can see that there is no real definition between this area and the living except this area is not carpeted. The door straight ahead shows the mudroom. There is the door to the garage in there as well as to the right there is the door to the laundry room. You can barely see here on the right the French doors to the sun room.
The kitchen. It's small but I actually loved its size when we first moved in. Our other house had a good sized kitchen and I just loved the intimate feel of this kitchen. As time has gone by I realized that what I really liked about this kitchen was the way I could be in there cooking, whatever, yet still be a part of what was happening in the living room. I have adequate cabinet space in this kitchen, that's not the issue. The issue is when we have big family dinners everyone wants to hang out in there...one look at this photo and you understand what a problem that is. If I'm in there trying to finish up cooking I find myself constantly tripping over others or feeling claustrophobic because they're all breathing down my neck. I don't accept offers of help with dinner because it's easier to do it myself than to have an extra person in there muddling about.The section of cabinets you see in the above photo is going to be moved during the remodel. We'll still be using the cabinets as they're in excellent condition. We plan to purchase a new double wall oven and place it one set of cabinets over from the refrigerator (which will be staying right where it is) and then the rest of the cabinets will go along what will be an expanded back wall. We'll have an island that will contain an electric cook top. We'll be selling our current stove.
This side of the kitchen will remain in tact. Nothing will change here except the counter tops and back splash area. Right now there is no real back splash other than a continuation of the counter top. I hate the current counter tops. They're off white with a bit of texture and no matter how much I scrub I just don't feel like I get them completely clean. We'll be replacing those with either marble or granite I suppose. We're just beginning to look at those options. Naturally price will play a part in our final decision. Whatever material we choose for the counter tops we'll also use as the surface of the island.
This photo shows the French doors that lead into the current sun room. I truly believe that the sun room was an after thought. These French doors are exterior doors. They're very heavy and there is a threshold that appears to be the type you'd use for an exterior door. The window above the stove is also framed on the other side just as you would a window on the outside of a house. It has a screen and exterior trim on it.That entire wall will be removed and the kitchen/dining area will be expanded 15 feet out.

No comments:
Post a Comment